You never think a disaster is going to happen to you, until the day that it does.
How many hours in total do you think you’ve spent working on your website?
Not just time spent creating content, but all the configuring of your settings, themes and plugins, moderating comments, searching for images, and on and on and on…
If you’ve had your website running for any length of time, the number of hours spent on it is probably mind-boggling, if you could even come up with a good guesstimate.
Do you know how easy it is to lose all those countless hours of work, for good?
Imagine going to your website tomorrow and finding it completely gone. Just a blank screen greets you, and when you go to troubleshoot the problem, you find every single file and database missing. YIKES!!!!!
It may sound far-fetched, but it happens more often than you think. Your site could get messed up for any number of reasons like;
The credit card your use expired and your payment for hosting didn’t go through, so your host deletes your account.
Your website or another on the same shared server gets infected with malware, so your host takes the easiest path by shutting down your site.
Your credit card quietly expired and your payment for hosting didn’t go through, so your host deletes your account.
A fire, flood, blackout, or security breach affects the data center that houses your server.
Your host accidentally deletes your files (yes, this happens more often than you’d anyone can care to imagine).
Or you just made a stupid mistake and fluffed up your site completely.
Backing up all your hard work is super simple, and I suggest you find a way to automate so that you wont accidentally forget. Lucky for you there are free solutions to get your data safe!
BackWPUp is one of the most popular free backup plugins for WordPress. This plugin is an easy, simple way to automate your backups and restore them when you need to.
There’s also premium version, BackWPUp Pro, that’s packed with even more features to protect your site, including a tool that can scan, repair, and optimize your database.
- Full database and file backup, plus a list of all your installed plugins.
- Store your backups to Dropbox, S3, FTP, RackSpaceCloud, Google Drive, SugarSync, website directory, and more.
- Create daily or weekly automatic backups.
- Includes a step by step restoration wizard tool.
- Includes a database optimization, scanning, and repair tool.
- Choose to store your backups in .zip, .tar, tar.gz, or tar.bz2 format.
- Customer support available with the pro version.
Price: Free with premium version starting at $75
The free version of UpdraftPlus, with just its basic backup features, is the highest-ranking backup plugin on WordPress.org, and the premium version has a ton of extra features to keep your site safe and secure.
One of the great features of this plugin is how extendable it is to fit your site’s needs. There are also plenty of addons available that give you even more functionality, such as a site duplicator and migrator, multiple backup storage destinations, and an advanced reporting tool. It also integrates with a huge variety of storage services to enable you to store your backups pretty much wherever you want.
- Backup your whole site, or choose which themes, plugins, content, etc. to backup.
- Restore individual files, just your database, or your entire site.
- Set up multiple automatic backups on different schedules.
- Store your backups with Amazon S3, Dropbox, Google Drive, Rackspace Cloud, DreamObjects, FTP, Microsoft OneDrive, SFTP, SCP, WebDAV, OpenStack Swift, send it via email.
- Database backups are encrypted for security.
- Can restore your site using backups made from other plugins, including BackWPUp, BackupWordPress, Simple Backup, or WordPress Backup To Dropbox.
- Any failed uploads are automatically retried.
- Customer support available with the premium version.
- Available translated into over 16 languages.
Price: Free with premium version starting at $70
So there you go, two free options for you to backup your blog and save all your hard work!